The Australian Government has introduced the JobKeeper payments to provide wage subsidy of $1500 per eligible employee per fortnight for businesses that are deemed sufficiently impacted by COVID-19. The wage subsidy is available in each of 13 fortnights from 30 March until 27 September 2020. You will need to do the following before the specified dates to be eligible for payments covering the full period.
Simply: You will need to do the following before the specified dates to be eligible for payments:
1. Confirm your eligibility for the scheme by working out your turnover forecast and confirming you have had the required turnover reduction. You will need to provide this information in Point 4.
2. Review your Employees to determine those eligible for Payments.
4. Register for the Scheme from 20 April using an ATO online forms using the Business Portal (or through our office ) and authenticating with myGOVID. You must do this by the end of April to claim Jobseeker payments for April. Each month the employer will need to reconfirm eligible employees have not changed through ATO online services, the Business Portal or through Butlers Accountants. If you use the ATO Business Portal, you will need a nyGOV ID linked to your ABN in relation Authorisation Manager. You can find out how to set this up at : myGOVID
5. Update your payroll systems and ensure Single Touch Payroll reporting is setup.
6. Ensure payments are made to employees for the first two fortnights by the end of April (ie:a minimum of $1500 per fortnight)
7. From 4 May, you will be able to register eligible employees in an online ATO application form.
Updated links for more information are available below
Australian Taxation Office:
Legislation and enabling rules:
Payments and Benefits Act – enables Treasury and ATO to make rules. Includes record keeping requirements
Payments and Benefits – amending Act – includes FWA and Tax amendments